72 Simple Ways to Increase Your Happiness Right Now
When was the last time you felt truly happy or wished for a foolproof way to increase your happiness in an instant?
Do you see the happy people around you and wonder what their secret is or how they got so lucky? Are you convinced that you’d feel happier if only you didn’t have so many problems in your life?
Too often, we see happiness as a destination to be worked towards or bought. We forget that our happiness is always there, right where we left it, when we dropped it for frustration or anger or guilt or sadness or regret.
All our emotions are fluid, even happiness. And, if you know where to look, true happiness can be found in each and every moment.
Even on the toughest days, when you’ll feel that happiness is completely out of reach. It’s still there waiting. And it’s all for you.
So where do you look? What do you do?
If you are anything like me, then you’re probably after a quick fix! Something to boost your happiness instantly. So I’ve made this list of 72 simple ways to increase your happiness RIGHT NOW!
No matter the day or the time or the place or the person, there’s something on this list for everyone. NO more excuses!
Pick the first one that appeals to you and give it a try!
1. Call a good friend on the phone
2. Drink a hot cup of coffee or tea mindfully
3. Hug someone you love
4. Listen to your favourite song
5. Go for a walk – short or long, your choice
6. Stop and concentrate on five different sounds you can hear
7. Take a crazy selfie
8. Tell someone your favourite joke
9. Stroke or cuddle your pet/s
10. Look at photos of your children or grandchildren
11. Put on an outfit that makes you feel great
12. Text a good friend
13. Take your dog for a walk
14. Use a grounding technique to release anxiety
15. Visit an elderly relative
16. Go outside and watch the clouds for five minutes
17. Think of one thing you can be grateful for today
18. Draw a picture or create a small piece of art
19. Confide in your pet about what’s on your mind today
20. Schedule a meal or catch up with a good friend
21. Consciously relax your face, you may be scowling or grimacing without realising
22. Smile at the next stranger you meet and say hi
23. Have a soak in the tub
24. Stop and look at your surroundings as though this is your first time here
25. Read a few pages or chapter of a good book
26. Visit a positive and uplifting website
27. Stop and watch your child/ren playing
28. Tidy away some clutter in your home or office
29. Send a funny selfie to a good friend
30. Go for a swim
31. Spend five minutes on your favourite mindfulness technique
32. Go for a drive somewhere new
33. Do something off your “to do” list that’s been there the longest
34. If you’re inside, get outside for at least ten minutes
35. Select a positive mantra for the day
36. Bake a cake or some tasty treats
37. Write in your journal
38. Play a card or board game with someone you care about
39. Perform a little act of kindness for someone
40. Watch an episode of your favourite comedy
41. Dance to your favourite song
42. Look at your favourite photos of your pet/s
43. Choose your favourite treat and eat it mindfully
44. Do some gardening
45. Spend ten minutes doing your favourite exercise or stretching
46. Read your child/ren a story
47. Go for a run
48. Plan where your next trip might be
49. Show yourself compassion, as you would your best friend
50. Write a short poem or prose
51. Find a good climbing tree and climb it
52. Switch off all screens and take notice of the sounds and sights around you
53. Give someone an honest compliment
54. Clean out and tidy one cupboard (or more if you have time)
55. Think of a happy memory and dwell on it
56. Let the sun shine on your face
57. Praise yourself on a small good deed you’ve done today
58. Make some music
59. If you’re near the coast, watch the waves for a while
60. Take a short nap
61. Burn your favourite essential oils
62. Stop and focus on the flow of your breath for five minutes
63. Paint your nails a new colour
64. Watch the stars
65. Do some colouring in
66. Take your child/ren to the park or playground
67. Go for a bike ride
68. Take a long hot shower
69. Pick (or buy) a bunch of your favourite blooms
70. Switch off your mobile and be present where you are
71. Ask your child/ren to play their favourite game with you
72. Write a letter to someone you love
THIS LIFE: Happiness has never been a destination, it can be found in each and every day.
THIS MOMENT: Bring yourself back to the present, then decide what you can do that will increase your happiness right now.
THIS WORD: Action
If you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing it through your favourite social channel below.